Fitting the Top Racks

It’s time to install the racks and guides into the prototype carcass. I’m following a methodical process to make sure everything aligns and functions. As with the carcass construction, start at the top and work down. So, the first components are the top racks and guides. These are easy. Simply rabbet the top edges of the legs and aprons to be flush with both the top surface, and the interior apron side.

Test fitting these, however, exposes an issue. The hinges for the flaps on main box interfere…


I need about 3 mm more clearance on each side for main box to fit. Two options: either make the main box smaller, or recess the racks further into the aprons. However, if the latter option is exercised the rabbets for the racks will cut into the mortises and tenons for the aprons and legs! So, I have to make the main box smaller. But, in order to take the main box down to the required dimensions, I’ll have to un-glue it! (Don’t recall doing that in the first place, but oh well…). Good thing I used hide glue!

Since I have only a small kettle, it’s a slow process, but after about 6 or 7 iterations, the dovetail joints holding the sides on are free.

Ungluing the main box 1Ungluing the main box 2

With the main box disassembled, I remove 3 mm from each side. This keeps the front profile uniform.

Just 3 mm…
Note that after drying out for a night, the pieces are totally usable again! Reassembled main box

Now resized, the main box slides within the top racks.

While this addresses the immediate problem, it causes others. In particular, future (foreseeable) issues include:

  • The flaps covering the two side compartments in the main box will need to be resized. No problem. I used hide glue on those too!
  • Also, the lower racks may need to be built out to remain in-line with the drive assemblies (and top racks).


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *